Our club, like many others requests a bond at registration. You are given the opportunity to volunteer for a total of 8 HOURS mininum and this bond will be reimbursed to you. Volunteer Opportunities are available for the 2017/2018 season and training/support is provided.
Now accepting volunteers for:
- Tag Table and Rinkside Volunteer - If you wish to sign up to volunteer for PreCanSkate or CanSkate, please visit the SIGN UP SHEET and add you name to an available spot.
- Student Program Assistant (On ice)
Volunteering Rinkside as a "Skating Mom" - Carol Bewley-Yu
"Having been a figure skater many years ago I knew the benefits of the canskate program. I have a 10 year old son who plays hockey and a 5 year old daughter and both are figure skating and loving it. Would you believe I never taught them to skate?! I left that in the hands of the Skate Canada certified coaches and PA's.
Standing on the side lines as a parent watching them learn to skate, I quickly realized how important volunteers are to the coaches as well as the children and the future success of the skating club. I decided my help could be beneficial at the rinkside even though the badging system had changed so much since I skated. These changes have allowed for more frequent rewards with ribbons between badge levels making it more fun and exciting for the children. I felt like I knew nothing about skating as I helped with badges and directed kids on and off the ice but it didn't take long for me to get the hang of things and learn the system allowing the coaches to spend more time with the kids instead of handling all the paperwork and badges. I loved seeing the kids get excited and progress throughout the year.
Volunteering brings back many great memories as a child learning to skate, from crying going on the ice for the first time to loving the sport and becoming a competitive skater. I developed lifelong friendships that still exist to this day!
I love being involved in my children's sports and have so much love to give back to the sport I grew up loving many years ago. I also thank my parents for giving me that opportunity as a child. :) "
Volunteer to help coaches while at the CanSkate programs by updating evaluations, badge/ribbon distribution, taking attendance or handing out newsletters and info to skating parents. If you have any questions or want to sign up please contact email@example.com or ask a board member. We will help you get started and be there to support every step of the way.
Student Program AssistantProgram Assistants are a vital link to our club’s success. Program assistants are there to help our Professional Coaches run the session. They are skaters from our Intermediate and Senior Session who have a skating background, knowledge and skating instructional training courses. All program assistants are volunteers within our club and give their time because of their love for the sport.
What is their role?
- To be able to follow instructions from the Skate Canada Coach
- To demonstrate skills and teaching progressions and reinforce these skills to lead warm-ups and cool-downs with the Skate Canada Coach
- To assist with handing out awards and incentives
- To act as a role model for young skaters
- To be trained on an annual basis
All skaters are encouraged to apply if they are in Intermediate and/or Senior.
These are qualities we look for in our Program Assistants:
- Have a helping nature, have patience with others, be reliable
- Be able to communicate ideas clearly, have a sense of commitment to tasks
- Have the qualities of a good role model, be able to lead activities in a creative and enthusiastic manner
- Ideally be 12 years of age or older and have passed Preliminary Free Skate test.
Program Assistants will be trained by a Club Coach. The training will be on going throughout the season. In this way, they will continue to improve in their ability to assist skaters learning to skate as well as leading warm-ups, cool-downs, circuits and stations, and fun activities.
If you would like to be a Program Assistant, please talk to one of the Coaches or contact the WSC office at firstname.lastname@example.org